JCT Defeat Castletroy – Munster Junior Cup

Match Report JCT by Matthew Callan (TY)

There was a double header on Wednesday, January 20th with the JCT and SCT playing in their respective Munster Schools Rugby Cup games in Garryowen RFC.

The JCT match kicked off at 3pm. It was a cold day but that didn’t stop the supporters coming in great numbers for both Castletroy and Glenstal.

From the off it was clear that the match was going to be a close one. Castletroy had most of the possession but Glenstal defended very well.

Castletroy could have scored a try on two occasions in the first half. They were camped on Glenstal’s line for about five minutes but were held up by heroic Glenstal defense until the siege was lifted.

The end of the half should have seen a certain try in the corner but for a knock on by the Castletroy winger.

The half ended 0-0

The second half began with Glenstal’s possession. Glenstal attacked with a lot more directness than Castletroy had in the first half.

After a passing movement involving Andrew Hogan, the ball made its way to Glenstal’s lethal Fullback, Ronan Quinn who picked it up on his own 10 meter line and ran to beat three players on the outside before leaving all behind him and scoring under the posts. The conversion was taken by Andrew Hogan.

7-0 Glenstal

Once again Glenstal attacked with skill and pace. The commanding Glenstal Outhalf, Caolan Dooley then hit an inch-perfect kick into the corner.

Tiernan Ryan stole the line out from Castletroy, as he did on at least four other occasions in the game, and after a few phases the Glenstal No.8, Padraic Mulligan crashed through various tackles to score a try at the posts. Again, Andrew Hogan did the honors by converting.

14-0 Glenstal

Castletroy then began to attack with real directness. This brought them up to the Glenstal 5m line. They earned a scrum in a very dangerous position. After s few phases Castletroy really looked like scoring. The Glenstal prop, Denny Moriarty came out with a fantastic hit-tackle which drove Castletroy back from the danger zone. Glenstal were not going to allow Castletroy to score.

About 2 minutes later Denny got what most people thought was a very severe yellow card for coming in the side of the ruck. But Glenstal held on to secure the win.

Final score 14-0

Photos of the game can be found in the Photos Section