Glenstal Abbey School Limited is a company limited by guarantee and a registered Irish Charity – No. CHY 21385. The primary object of the company is the advancement of education in accordance with the Benedictine tradition. The company directors are also the governors of the school. The overall responsibility for the governance, financial stewardship and strategic direction and development of Glenstal Abbey School rests with the Board of Governors. The working relationship between Glenstal Abbey and Glenstal Abbey School Ltd is governed by a binding protocol. In particular, the protocol defines matters where monastic consent must be obtained by the school.
The current Board of Governors are:
- Mr Michael Counahan – Chairperson
- Abbot Brendan Coffey OSB – Abbot, Glenstal Abbey
- Fr Martin Browne OSB – Bursar, Glenstal Abbey
- Fr Cuthbert Brennan OSB – Trustee nominee
- Br Christopher Dillon OSB – Trustee nominee
- Ms Julie Sadlier – Trustee nominee
- Mr Patrick Mulvihill – Trustee nominee
- Ms Carmel Honan – Trustee nominee
There are a minimum of five Governors and a maximum of twelve. The Board of Governors includes four members of the monastic community, including ex officio the Abbot and Abbey Bursar. The Abbot shall, ex officio, be the President of the Board of Governors. The chairman of the Board of Governors is appointed by the Abbot. The term of appointment to the Board of Governors is five years. All appointments are renewable at the end of their term.
The Board of Governors will meet as often as the Governors deem necessary, subject to a minimum of four meetings per year. The Headmaster, Fr. William Fennelly, and School Bursar, John Cannon, attend meetings and they report on all aspects of the school.
The Board of Governors has established a number of sub-committees. They are as follows: Finance, Scholarships & Bursaries, Curriculum & Education, Extra-Curricular Activities and Nominations & Appointments.
The school is required by the Education Act, 1988, to have a Board of Management. The remit of the Board of Management includes management of the educational affairs of the school, the preparation and implementation of operating policies, the recruitment of teachers, the appointment of teachers to posts of responsibility, the hearing of complaints against staff and student disciplinary issues. The working relationship between the Board of Management and Board of Governors is governed by a binding protocol.
The term of office for the Board of management is three years.
- Mr Jerry Cronin – Chairperson
- Ms Ann Aungier – Teacher nominee
- Mr Pat Aylward – Parent nominee
- Fr John O’Callaghan OSB – Patron nominee
- Mr Thomas Franklin – Teacher nominee
- Ms Mary Frost – Parent nominee
- Ms Carmel Honan – Patron nominee
- Mr Ed Leahy – Patron nominee