SCT Narrowly Beaten by Castletroy in Limerick City Cup

The Limerick City Cup aka the Colm Tucker Cup was played on the back pitch of Thomond Park on Friday, November 6th. Castletroy who are considered by many as the favorites in the upcoming Munster Senior Cup fielded no less then eight Interpro players and two Irish Schools players.

Castletroy showed their brute strength and bulk against a fired up Glenstal team who showed lots of defensive power in the first half which ended in a nil-all draw. Castletroy enjoyed the majority of the ball in this half but were unable to break the solid Glenstal red wall. Penalty opportunities went a begging for both kickers in the half and Castletroy had a ball knocked on over the Glenstal try line.

The second half was a much more open game. Changes were made and words were exchanged in both camps to try and break the deadlock. Within the first two minutes Castletroy scored the first points. They moved the ball wide and eventually broke an inspired Glenstal defense. Not long after Castletroy were under the posts. Quick ball off the top of a lineout inside the Glenstal 22 allowed for the Castletroy back line to cut through Glenstal and pick up another seven points.

Down twelve points Glenstal needed to get on the scoresheet urgently. Ben Healy brought the score to 12-3 and a scrappy Glenstal lineout in the Castletroy 22 led to Johnny Williams touching down and providing onlookers with a memorable celebration. Ben Healy converted and now the score was 12-10. Glenstal were back in the game.

Castletroy responded with a penally to stretch the lead to five points and later to eight with a brilliant drop goal from their Outhalf.

Glenstal was not lying down against this huge Casltetroy team and came back with a well-taken try in the corner with Conan O’Sullivan the scorer. The scoreboard now read 18-15 with ten minutes left in the game.

There were chances for Glenstal to score and particularly with an intercept by Declan Floyd which was almost converted into points. A 60 meter run came to an end when the ball was offloaded and Glenstal were unable to recycle the ball quickly enough to score.

Castletroy held on to engrave their name on the Colm Tucker Cup.

The general consensus on the sideline was that this was a very brave Glenstal performance. The stronger team ran out in the end but that is not to say that Glenstal were out of contention at any stage in the game. Lesser teams would have given up the ghost as the pressure from Castletroy was immense. Most of the Glenstal failings will be worked on in the coming weeks and months. Watch out for them in the Cup. They give everything and more to the Glenstal cause and no one can ask for more.

Paddy Molony_F8A0048