SCT beat St. Clements in Senior Cup

Match Report by Matthew Callan

The first half of the game played on the G4 surface in the University of Limerick started very slowly, but when John Murphy made a powerful run to break through the Clements line, the Glenstal crowd went wild. On the five minute mark Jack Stafford kicked a brilliant penalty to give Glenstal an early lead. The match’s intensity slowed for some time. Then suddenly a great mall was driven over the line with Neilus Mulvihill in possession of the ball to score a great try. Unfortunately, Jack Stafford wasn’t successful with the conversion so, the score remained at 8-0. A great chance was created five minutes before half time when an overlap occurred and Bobby Fleming received the ball. Unfortunately he was tackled into touch just short of the line.
Half Time Score: Glenstal 8-0 Clements
The second half started well for Glenstal. Ben Clancy stole a very poor line out from Clements. He made a break but was tackled five metres short of the line. Glenstal then gave away a penalty for not releasing at ruck time. The chance was lost and Clements cleared their lines. Glenstal went wide with the ball, it reached Ben Clancy who very unpredictably stepped inside to fool several defenders and scored a very good try. Jack Stafford then hit the bar with the conversion. This put Glenstal 13-0 up.
Clements got a penalty on the 22 which they kicked into the corner. This brought them up to the five metre line. From the line out Clements got a mall going which was very hard to stop and they drove over the Glenstal line to score their only try of the game. Clements kicked the conversion wide to leave the score at 13-5.
Shortly after this Dave Quane replaced Joe Hartnett who had a stellar of a game. Jack Stafford stepped up to kick a penalty very convincingly to extend Glenstal’s lead to 16-5. After this John Murphy was replaced by Will McGann. Straight from the kick off Neilus Mulvihill showed great athleticism and rose highest to gather the ball.
Fifteen minutes from time Dave Kenny replaced the injured Jamie McAleese. One minute later Rory Clarke replaced Alex Donohoe. Clements looked set to score but Colm Hogan not only tackled but also forced the Clements winger into touch when it seemed certain he would score. The match came to an end with sustained pressure by Clements with wave after waves of attacks which were repelled by brave Glenstal defence.
A good win for Glenstal and credit to St. Clements for putting it up to Glenstal throughout the game.
Glenstal next play Castletroy in the first leg Quarter Final on Tuesday 27th in Rosbrien. Kick off at 3.00pm. Captain Tim Costigan and the Squad would appreciate as much support as possible from all friends and supporters of Glenstal. Tell your friends as well.
Photographs of the game are in the Gallery Section.
Full Time Score: Glenstal 16-5 St. Clements