Senior Hurling v CCC

History was made once more in Glenstal Abbey School as the school’s first senior hurling team took on Crescent College Comprehensive in Limerick on Friday last. Numerous school commitments meant that only the bare 15 travelled to the game but those 15, composed of 4th, 5th and 6th year students, were ready for battle. Eoin Bergin and Sean Garry were sidelined on the day but were there to provide support to their school mates, both past and present. There was much anticipation surrounding the fixture with so many unknowns but a fine day meant the best of hurling could be displayed. This game had it all, an engaged and entertained crowd of parents and peers while there was good sportsmanship and humour on the field of play.

The opening exchanges were promising for Glenstal with Declan Kinahan opening Glenstal’s account with a fine effort from the right hand side of the goal. That levelled the game but Crescent raised a green flag when a high ball beat Harry Boland to cross the Glenstal goal line. Crescent added two more points, one from play and one from a free, and were in danger of pulling away before Jack O’Mahony rattled the net from a 20 metre free.


C.C.C 1-03 (6) Glenstal 1-01 (4)

Crescent would go on another scoring spree notching up one goal and four points before Jack O’Mahony netted again. Jack Sheedy linked up well with his fellow Tipperary man in the build up. There was end-to-end drama as the half progressed and substitutes were rotating regularly to allow players cope with the pace of the game. Shane Griffin helped steady the Glenstal defence for a time through his relieving clearances. A Crescent point and was replied to by Conán O’Sullivan. Another point from Crescent was equalled to from the stick of Shane Butler. Jack O’Mahony continued his fine form to point again for Glenstal, and when Crescent netted once more, Jack O’Mahony rounded off a hat-trick of goals. Crescent hit three unanswered points and Glenstal replied in equal measure. Jack Sheedy, Jack O’Mahony and then Shane Butler all pointed before the halftime whistle.


C.C.C 3-12 (21) Glenstal 3-07 (16)

The spirits were high heading out for the second half and Glenstal began strong again. Conán O’Sullivan pointed before Harry Boland and Sam McCormack pulled off a double save between them. Luke Fitzgerald was taking the physical game to Crescent through some fast running and hard hitting play. Scores were exchanged once more with Jamie Mawhinney scoring from long range before Crescent would rally again. Rory Clarke, strong in defence all day, fouled through some hard hitting of his own and from the resulting 20 metre free, the sliotar was blasted to the roof of the net. Three more points and another goal from a 65 metre puck meant Glenstal were in danger of falling out of contention.


C.C.C 5-17 (32) Glenstal 3-09 (18)

Not to be deterred, Glenstal began a comeback. Dogged play from Charlie Murphy won a free which Jack Sheedy pointed. Jack Sheedy knocked over another score before Declan Kinahan got his second point of the game. Glenstal were really piling on the pressure and the Crescent goalkeeper was forced to produce three top class saves and another double save to keep his team in command. Glenstal would point again before Shane Downes, usually accustomed to the big ball, wasn’t able to steer the sliotar to the net. Shane did some great work to leave defenders in his wake but could only strike the sliotar wide of the target. Crescent goaled again in a bid to stem the Glenstal attack. However, Glenstal surged again. First, Jack Sheedy pointed before Shane Butler broke through the defence and kicked over from close range. Luke Fitzgerald received a pass from his midfield partner, Jamie Mawhinney, and rifled the ball to the net. Jack Sheedy pointed from a free and after more pressure on the Crescent goal, Glenstal were awarded a late penalty. In sporting fashion, Declan Floyd, nominated by his teammates, stepped up to take the penalty. Declan was searching for an elusive score but it wasn’t to be as his shot was stopped. At this moment the final whistle was blown and the referee drew a close to proceedings.

Final Score

C.C.C 6-17 (35) Glenstal 4-16 (28)

Well done to all the players who represented their school very well.

Panel: Eoin Bergin, Seán Garry, Harry Boland, Sam McCormack, Tom Kinahan, Rory Clarke, Declan Floyd, Shane Downes, Conán O’Sullivan, Charlie Murphy, Jamie Mawhinney, Luke Fitzgerald, Declan Kinahan, Jack O’Mahony, Shane Griffin, Jack Sheedy & Shane Butler.