U15 Hurlers Continue the Winning Run

On a very cold and wet January afternoon, the U15 hurlers began their competitive action when they made the journey to St. Patrick’s GAA field in Rhebogue to take on Gaelcholáiste Luimnigh in the 1st round of the LIT sponsored Corn Donnacha O’Nunain.

The early exchanges were tight with much of the play around the middle third. Slowly but surely, it was Glenstal who won the ‘arm wrestle’ for attacking ball. The first score came when Conor McCormack was fouled while advancing on the goal. Initially stopped with a brilliant hook from behind, he earned his free when tripped 30 metres from the goal. He struck the free over himself for the opening score. With the elements in Glenstal’s favour, Gaelcholáiste Luimnigh struggled to get the ball out of their half. This was also due to the strong midfield efforts of Michael Buckley and Ke Burke-Young.

With ample supply of possession, the forwards had no excuse and it was their duty to supply the scores. Michael O’Dwyer, operating at full forward, duly obliged. He struck for 2 goals which greatly enhanced Glenstal’s lead and made the upcoming 2nd half very difficult for Gaelcholáiste Luimnigh. The scoring of the 1st half wasn’t over just yet. Conor McCormack landed a long range effort from the centre of the field before Michael Franklin scored another point giving Glenstal a 9 point lead. Gaelcholáiste Luimnigh did have some attacking opportunities and the difference could have been smaller. A number of wides and solid defensive efforts from Padraic Hassett, John Walsh and the Ryan-Prendiville brothers meant that the Gaelcholáiste Luimnigh couldn’t capitalise on some of their very good play.

In the 2nd half, the rain really started to pour. The playing conditions were very tough for both sets of teams. Gaelcholáiste Luimnigh never gave up, and despite Michael O’Dwyer scoring another goal to complete his hat-trick, they reaped their reward when they goaled with a ground strike which flew into the Glenstal net. It wouldn’t be the catalyst to a requisite revival though. Again, conditions played their part and the play became scrappy with players slipping and sliding and hurleys dropping and flying. The scoring was completed nearing the end of the game when Stefan Caulfield-Dreier pulled on a loose sliotar to send the ball crashing into the net.

All in all, it was a good performance from the boys in difficult conditions. They will now play Coláiste Íde & Íosef (Abbeyfeale) in the 2nd group game before hopefully advancing to the semi-finals.

Final Score: Glenstal Abbey School 4-3 (15) Gaelcholáiste Luimnigh 1-0 (3)

Panel: James Shields, John Walsh, Stefan Caulfield-Dreier, Ben Shippam, Padraic Hassett, Michael Buckley, Liam Duggan, Michael Franklin, Michael O’Dwyer, Micheál Ryan Prendiville, Seán Ryan Prendiville, Kieran Roche, Darragh Lehane, Kilian Brennan, Conor McCormack, Ke Burke-Young & Paddy Frawley