Under 16 Hurlers Win

U16.5 hurling: Impressive round 1 win for Glenstal Abbey School

Glenstal’s first competitive GAA action for 2017/2018 took place on Thursday, September 28th. The postponed fixture meant Glenstal had lost home advantage and made the hour long journey towards Newcastle West where they would face Desmond College. After both teams warmed up, the referee, John Paul Kiely, blew the whistle to commence a minute’s silence in memory of Neville Furlong. The action began thereafter.

Desmond College started the match with two goals in quick succession and looked very dangerous in attack. Tom Rooney joined the half back line to offer his assistance and was certainly effective in this role. Cian O Farrell, operating in the middle of the field, helped Glenstal remain in touch with scores from play and frees. Glenstal, aided by the wind which was now flowing behind them, scored 8 unanswered points. Darragh Butler made his long awaited return to hurling and he landed a monstrous score from Glenstal’s half to propel his team further into the lead.

Glenstal’s work ethic, running, hooking and blocking put a stop to Desmond College’s attacking and scoring spree from earlier in the game and helped Glenstal take control of proceedings. Long puck outs from Angus McDonald were well received by a very high performing half forward line composed of Aidan Booth, Cormac Frawley and Darragh Hanly. Goals were then the order of the day and these helped Glenstal into a comfortable lead coming towards half time. Cian O’Farrell with a hat trick and Aidan Booth with another. Ben McCartan finished the half’s scoring with another fine point to leave the half time score; Glenstal Abbey School 4-12 (24) Desmond College 3-4 (13).

A surge in the second half was expected with Desmond College playing with the wind at their backs. They began well but Glenstal’s backs were a force to be reckoned with and held firm despite conceding some frees. A yellow card for the industrious Patrick Johnson didn’t put a stop to his efforts. Shortly after, he redeemed himself by setting up a number of crucial scores during the second half to keep Glenstal’s score climbing. Unfortunately, Will Twomey committed a foul too many and was dismissed for a second bookable offence with 20 minutes remaining. His tackle (use of the shoulder) was deemed illegal by the referee. Glenstal needed to up their efforts again to cope with a man less on the field of play.

It was a physical battle which Glenstal overcame, partially due to a fantastic display by Robert McNamara at full back who repelled numerous attacks with tenacity and ferocity. Glenstal, as a team, worked incredibly and efficiently with great link ups in the midfield and forward lines. Cian O’Farrell, finished the day with an impressive personal tally of 3-15 but there were many others who got in on the scoring also (Aidan Booth, Cormac Frawley, Ben McCartan, Michael Buckley, Darragh Butler and Darragh Hanly – I hope I didn’t miss one!) and that proved to be the winning of the game. The craft and work of the entire Glenstal team created many opportunities and won many frees. A Glenstal win and performance not to be forgotten as the score finished 4-26 (38) to 5-9 (24). Coláiste Íde agus Íosef (Abbeyfeale) and Limerick CBS are the other contenders in the group with the top two making the semi-finals. Coláiste Chiaráin (Croom), Gaelcholáiste Luimnigh and Coláiste Mhuire (Askeaton) will battle at the other side for the other two places.

Panel: Angus McDonald, Henry Farrell, Robert McNamara, Ben Shippam, Will Twomey, Darragh Butler (joint captain), Charlie McCartan, Cian O’Farrell (joint captain), Patrick Johnson, Aidan Booth, Cormac Frawley, Darragh Hanly, Ben McCartan, Tom Rooney, Robert O’Grady, Michael Buckley & John Walsh.


Previous post: Neville Furlong RIP